Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Soap Box Preacher

If you ever hear the word 'Evangelism' what comes to mind. Allow me to guess. What you don't want me to, to bad. Crazy man, over zealous charismatic Christians, weirdos on your door step? Likely at least one of the above. Sadly it's not true. Evangelism comes in all forms, and people often don't even realize they're being evangelized. This is a word that has become entirely made up of its connotation:

Evangelism (N)
Zealous preaching and dissemination of the gospel, as through missionary work.

even the dictionary seems biased. What is one to do? Suffer I suppose. All evangelism originally was was telling the world the Word of God. Alright, so I'll admit it has Christian origins, but it's Greek, not my fault.

However the real reason for this post is that my art history class has provided me with a plethora of new terms, not all new. So now I really have no excuse not to post. Well, we shall all see what happens. But here you are, not one but two new definitions (however synonymous).

proselytization (v)
1. Tto convert or attempt to convert as a proselyte; recruit
2. To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
3. To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

Personally, I think this ones sounds more like crazy people on my door step.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha hat reminded me off in last drama class. we did a big group improv where everyone had secret objectives and this one guy was going around as a jehovahs witness trying to convert people handing out the watch tower. it was funny :) oh and we were on a cruise ship so we couldn't escape :P

    ReplyDelete