Friday, October 8, 2010

Abyss

I like to think that I always have something to talk about.  And I suppose I do, I just don't feel like subjugating those who take it upon themselves to be entertained by survival attempts to irrelevant childish banter.  As such I have abstained from ranting on this blog every chance I get.  I don't consider the content by any means to be 'articles' or 'thought out', but I refuse to submit to the view that a 'blog' should be random drivel.  That said there's is a lot I could rant about now but I won't.  Yet.  I have to save some things for later (not that I believe I will run out of things to talk about while being 3/4, or 1/4, ways around the world).


Architecture. Buildings.  In Canada, while at least Saskatchewan (try saying that name to Japanese people, the look of horror I've gotten) buildings are all square, enclosed, able to withstand cold winters and hot summers.  All have central heating and insulation, sealed windows.

Here, they don't even have screens.  My place has sliding doors to a small deck.  , there's no central heating and for air flow I can prop my door open and open the door to the deck.  There's a little window on the top if I only want a little air and another actual vent by it on the floor something that would never happen in Canada.  Everything would be controlled by a central fan.  But the real shocker to me is that the buildings are not enclosed.  For example, I walk into the dorm building, go through a door.  I walk straight and arrive at the first floor landing.  Know how Canadian motels have that little cement pad in front of all the doors, and if there are multiple landings they have a small walkway on the front with stairs at one end? Well when I say landing I mean that.  But when I walk onto this landing, I do not exit a door.  I go up the stairs to my floor (the stairs are before the landing), and the same.  Each floor has a doorway (with no door, so by definition an arch).  These arches lead to landings for each floor, which span the entire length of the building and have about 11 apartments on each.

But there are no doors to the outside.

At all.

Just open gaping holes.

Like the central general education building.  You walk in a door at the front, or you walk into just an archway at the back.  It just shouldn't be like that.  If you walk in a door to get in a building, you walk out a door to leave.  No matter how you exit.

In Canada, come a few weeks, everyone would die of hypothermia.  After they got blocked in by massive snow drifts.  It's just weird.

And I don't think I will ever get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment